Celebrate National Fish and Chips Day at home by creating your very own freshly battered hake and accompanying sauces.
If you enjoyed making this recipe, please share your photos with us on Instagram, tagging @RedCarnationHotels.
To serve 2
Beer battered hake
- 150g of tempura flour
- 1 egg
- 1 beer
- 10g salt
- 5g white pepper
- 100g cake flour (or plain flour)
- 10g salt
- 400g of hake, fresh and cleaned
- 80g mayonnaise or home-made aioli
- 8g capers, chopped
- 8g onions, white brunoise
- 8g gherkins, chopped
- Egg yolk
- 1tsp dijon mustard
- 2g garlic paste
- 200ml vegetable oil
- 1tsp white wine vinegar
- 1tsp lime juice
For the fish:
- Whisk together the flour and seasoning.
- Add the eggs and beer at the same time and whisk until combined into a smooth batter about the thickness of pancake batter.
- Keep chilled until ready to prepare the fried food.
- Add the hake in the seasoned flour then in the batter then deep fry until golden.
- Season and serve.
For the tartare sauce:
- Finely chop and mix all ingredients together and fold into the aioli.
For the lemon aioli:
- Smash up the garlic with 1 teaspoon of salt in a pestle and mortar (or use the end of a rolling pin in a metal bowl).
- Place the egg yolk and mustard in a bowl and whisk together, then gradually start to add your oil.
- Once you’ve blended in a quarter of the oil, you can start to add the rest in larger amounts.
- When the mixture thickens, add lemon juice.
- To finish, season to taste with salt, pepper and a bit more lemon juice, if needed.
Serve with homemade chips and mushy peas, perfect for a Friday night dinner.
For more recipe ideas, check out our at home blogs for inspiration.