This signature recipe for Lamb Curry serves 4 people.
- 1 kg leg of lamb or shoulder (or 1 kg chicken), cubed
- 75 ml oil
- 1 onion, diced
- 2 cloves
- 2 cinnamon sticks (10 cm long)
- 20 ml medium strength masala curry powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 10 ml crushed garlic and ginger
- 4 curry leaves
- 5 ml whole fennel seeds
- 250 ml water (one cup)
- 2 large potatoes, peeled and cut in half
- 1 medium tomato, skinned and diced
- Coriander (Dhania) leaves for garnishing
- Masala curry powder
- Wash the meat and drain.
- Heat the oil and add the diced onion, cloves and cinnamon sticks.
- Add masala curry powder, stir and add meat to the pot.
- Add salt, garlic and ginger, curry leaves and fennel seeds and stir.
- Allow to cook on a high heat for 5 minutes.
- Reduce heat to medium and continue cooking for half an hour.
- As excess water and juices evaporate, add the cup of water, then the potato and tomato.
- When both the meat and vegetables are cooked, simmer on high heat for 5 minutes.
- Garnish with coriander and serve.
- Serve with rice, roti and green salad.