Tamarind is a fruit indigenous to Africa that grows in long pods and has a pleasingly sweet and sour taste. Kevin Joseph’s recipe for tamarind lentils is a moreish blend of savoury and tangy, and is the perfect dish to serve when catering for vegetarians or vegans. Alternatively, as Kevin explains: ‘this dish is the perfect accompaniment to have when enjoying tandoori chicken, and is best eaten with pickled lime.’
- ½ of a large onion
- 1 large tomatoes
- 5 curry leaves
- 1tbsp butter
- 8 grams Paprika
- 8 grams fresh garlic
- 2 grams fresh ginger
- 2 grams cumin seeds
- 8 grams Garam Masala
- 18 grams mix masala
- 15 grams Tamarind paste
- Fresh Coriander
- Salt to taste
- 500g black lentils pre soaked
- Begin by boiling the black lentils until soft.
- In a pan, braise the onions and cumin seeds. When the cumin seeds start to pop, add the ginger, garlic, curry leaves, paprika, mix masala and garam masala and fry well.
- Add tomatoes, then leave to cook.
- When the oil starts to surface, add in the boiled lentils and tamarind.
- Stir in the butter before adding salt to taste.
- Garnish with fresh coriander before serving.